July 1, 2012

Class Reflection - June 29

Why I Want to Teach
In a way, I'm glad they asked us write down the answer to that question. I'd really like to see if my reasons have evolved from the application process to graduation. I feel like I've never given the same answer twice. Perhaps answers relating to one another, but more finely tuned every time I answer that question. On the other hand, I'm sick of that question. I sometimes feel like I'm being challenged, like my judgment is being questioned. I know that's not their intent, and it's good to constantly question what you're doing and why you're doing it and make sure you're in it for the right reasons. I don't mean to complain. I know what I'm getting myself into, or at least I think I do. Sigh...

Sheskey Reading
I would have to say that I’ve thought more about this reading and our class discussion about it more than any other assignment and topic we’ve learned about thus far. Having grown up in a school system where computers were sparse and the internet was nonexistent, it was difficult for me to imagine a class that incorporated technology. I welcomed the idea, but just couldn’t grasp it. So reading the article opened my eyes to the possibilities and benefits and just how well technology could be incorporated into today’s classes, in any subject. I was excited to learn how to make technology and class work in harmony. Granted, no system is perfect, but the positive aspects were intriguing, and the negative aspects posed a challenge. As we discussed this article and everyone put their own experiences into it, it seemed to be such a great thing… for extroverts. We were all riding that train. I would assume everyone in the program is an extrovert, to a degree. I can’t imagine a shy teacher that kept to his or her self. Anyway, it seemed we were all excited about breaking kids out of the old-school school norms. Then, out of left field (or so it seemed to me), Rayhan expressed how she would have struggled in this type of situation as opposed to flourish in it. Whoa. I felt like I was just slapped in the face. I should have known better. I was an introvert. I was the type that didn’t want any one but the teacher to see my work. I would have done just fine in “Class A” in Dr. Charles’ class if need be, and was actually quite successful in those types of classes. In fact, I still shy away from a camera. However good something is, it’s not good for others. At that point, my thoughts have gone from technology in the classroom to the individual students in the classroom. Will we ever find a system that works for everyone? Do find the best system and label it the best system merely because it works for most? We’ll never get just one kind of students. Maybe this is the biggest challenge for us. We are all going into a system, although improving is in construction. We have to roll with the punches, which is a lot easier said than done. How do we benefit the students without hurting others? Although my reaction to the reading was intended to be towards technology, my thoughts have been consumed by the uniqueness of students and the blanket policies that are in effect in today’s school system. That being said, I’m looking forward to learning about how to run an effective classroom for each and every student, and the technology part too.

7 comments:

  1. Shaza, thanks for your comments. I appreciate the insight (if I'm understanding) that our asking you to share why you teach might be seen as a question with a right (and a wrong) answer, and perhaps even with consequences of judgment attached. I can tell you that, both for me and for Kristin, it's important for us as teachers to feel like we have some sense of each of you as people. Frankly, that's the biggest reason why we have you do that assignment and it's one of the main reasons why we have you write these blogs. We also feel like it's important for each of us as teachers (to pause and answer that "why" question periodically (I very much like your idea of charting the evolution of one's response to that question). Having said all of this, It is good to be reminded, though, that there's the teacher's intention in creating and giving an assignment, but that there's also the student's perception of that assignment and the related (perhaps unspoken) expectations.
    As to your comments about the Sheskey reading and Rayhan's comment during our discussion, I agree that there's a lot to think about there. As I said in class, it leads me to think about how we're socialized as students, and about our larger purposes for school. This is precisely the kind of rich question that we hope to foreground in this class...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Jeff. It was not my intention to make you feel that your question wasn't warranted. It was, and in fact, it's good that you ask this question. My frustration comes from my past when people have doubted my decisions. I knew you had intentions for that question, but I never thought it would be for your benefit. I think it's brilliant that you want to know what kind of people we are through questions as such.

      Delete
  2. I felt similarly about Rayhan's comment; particularly, it really caused me to take a step back and look at the whole concept of using technology from a different perspective. It truly never occurred to me how such a display of student work could cause stress, beyond the typical pressure of peer review and accountability. I have always been fairly extroverted and comfortable with public demonstrations of my efforts (whether projects, labs, or presentations). But, for a student who fears such exposure, assignments that use technology as a means of sharing their work could end up hindering learning if the student is too focused on the process and not enough on the content itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaza, what you said is a really true statement. We all come off as being outgoing extroverted people--because let's face it, you have to have some of that in you to succeed in this program--but when we step back for a moment, how many of us would have been the kid shying away from having their work featured? I know that as middle school or high school student, I would have done whatever was possible to have a teacher NOT show my work. I may feel differently now, but that's because of experiences I've had in school and work. Technology is a medium that can be very helpful for students because it can provide a form of anonymity at times. On the other hand, it presents so many other issues--technology and so many of it's associated components generate fear for a lot of young people because of that anonymous nature--you never really know who is behind a comment, who is reading or viewing what you did, etc. As teachers in environments where technology is going to be present, we have to find ways that will not just make us comfortable, but also our students comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gal-

    I totally understand your dilemma! As an on-line Blackboard using anthropology instructor, I have had to learn and use many new applications to communicate with my students virtually. I also have tons of literature about technology in the classroom and taking classes on-line to share!I had to evolve from a slow typing IM'er (instant messenger) to an Elluminate (virtual room for specific time frame) instructor.

    I believe technology is useful for all students in different ways. Itts a fun, attention grabbing way to teach various learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaza,
    I read the article you recommended about the father and son video Grand Theft Auto experience. It's interesting and adds another perspective to the thought of teaching and learning through video games. As in many other areas of life, it's the child teaching and the adult learning. Thanks for sharing that.
    Like you, my post this week reflects on each of the readings individually. I had a difficult time grasping the McGonigal message. I really struggled with the thought of promoting more videogame use as a means of solving world problems. Your thoughts are different and might help me to open my mind, though I'm not sure I can get there. Maybe my vision of more people spending more time sitting in front of screens playing games is one of society becoming more obese (a social problem I don't see being corrected by videogames). Of course, if the gamers were limited to sodas that were no more than 16oz......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin and Shaza:

    It is important to look into every opportunity to teach use how to use technology to assist our thinking and teaching skills. I say we try out video games and create an assignment where students have to use the skills developed during video games to solcve a social issue- I dare even say obesity!

    ReplyDelete