July 31, 2012

Small World

I read an edublog not too long ago, and oddly enough, it was something we were discussing in class, thanks to Alex (who posted it on Diigo). It was about the NYT article is algebra necessary. I happened to stumble upon a math blog (Mr. Meyer comments on NYT algebra article) just about that. It was a very short blog, and it seemed to be written in frustration, but Dan Meyer brings up a good point: “The more interesting question is, “How should we define Algebra in 2012 and how should we teach it?” This really struck me. There are so many people quick to find faults in everything around them, but never bother to suggest improvements or even ask questions how to improve something.

also see how technology has really brought the world together. This information is everywhere, and everyone talks about it. Like how we talked about it in our class, and someone blogged about it, which I’m sure others will read, and I’m sure other math gurus are all over this. I think it’s great how technology can reach everyone, making the world that much smaller.

The other blog I read was 10 things in school that should be obsolete. I thought  it was interesting to see this perspective, for schools as a whole, as buildings, as functioning mini-societies. I’ve never thought as corridors, bathrooms, or gyms being something that could be improved upon. I definitely agree, or at least relate to the multi-use spaces and classroom environments. Add it on to our list of challenges! 

5 comments:

  1. Shaza, I like your thought process on how technology makes this vast world a little smaller for us. Especially in a specialized field, like math teaching, resources can be shared, collaborations made, and experience broadened, simply by engaging in the tech world surrounding the field.

    Oddly enough, I think I stumbled upon the same 10 things article that you did... I think a lot about spaces, and how they form how we feel. If you take one look at my bedroom, you will get a great idea of the state of my mind. My mental state is manifested in the piles of clothes or stacks of books neatly arranged... depending on the day. I think making the best use of spaces in our future careers is something we should be looking at immediately. Some of the layouts in our 402 book (I think it was Vacca & Vacca) seemed interesting, but improbable (rooms were HUGE!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaza,
    I love that you highlighted Meyer's point about redefining Algebra and how we should teach it. I think that it is important to realize that the field of education must evolve as society does. There is this gap between so many subjects, how they are taught in schools and how we use them in everyday life. We see this in technology, right! We use it in the "real world" to collaborate, communicate, and problem solve but a lot of teachers fail to bring those important, applicable, higher-ordered thinking aspects of technology into the classroom (And that was the point of my presentation/695 paper which you can totally read if you life).

    There is a lot of change that needs to happen in schools. I haven't looked into this yet, but I have a feeling that this is a very cyclic trend --- every so many decades education needs to change ---- and right now we are in that transition.

    As you can tell, your blog has really got my wheels turning. I'm going to have to check out that blog... after finals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the blog about 10 things in school that should be obsolete because it really made me stop and think for a second. I've never really thought about the layout and design of a school gym being a bad thing, but after reading what the author said, it's actually true! The notion that made me think the most was how the teacher-centered classroom should be changed. I don't know if that's always the case--to me, it seems like there's certain circumstances you have to have the teacher as the person leading instruction, but ideas the brought up seem to tie in really well with the idea of the inquiry based classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too read Mr. Meyer's blog and I don't know if you read any of the comments, but one commenter made the point that while he may not use algebra perse everyday he uses algebraic thinking and the problem-solving techniques he learned from algebra all the time and I think that is critical. Yes not everyone uses algebra but it the way it causes you to look at problems will definitely come in handy later in life. Another commenter made the pt that the NYT op-ed's attack on algebra can be done to a lot of things we teach, I can tell you exactly how many times I've found my knowledge of Beowulf and The Odyssey or my ability to comprehend Shakespearian english has come in handy since graduating college, ZERO, but that doesn't mean the experience wasn't worthwhile or that Shakespeare and epic poetry should be eliminated from school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea, the physical environment is very important to creating a positive school culture. We discusse dhow Scarlett was set up to make the school safe and comfortable= making it suitable for student learning.

    ReplyDelete