July 12, 2012

Short but Sweet


Once again, I roll my eyes at reading an article about how lawmakers are wasting time and tax payer money. If you couldn’t tell, I’m quite opinionated on this topic. I personally don’t drink pop, so my views and opinions may not be warranted as this law would not affect me in the least. I don’t drink pop because it’s my choice. It’s my choice because I am well informed of the effects of it. I personally believe that no one should be drinking that much pop, but laws like this bother me because they only mask the underlying issue. It annoys me that so much time and money is spent on a solution that doesn’t attack the heart of the problem. Now that’s out of my system...


On to teaching! I’ve struggled with coming up with incorporating this into a lesson plan, as far as Physics anyway. Every idea that came into my head pertained to English, government, debate, biology, chemistry, health, and even foreign language and math. Honestly, the only physics ideas I came up with had to do with destroying the article like “what force was needed for me to rip the paper?” and “at what angle did I have to throw the crumpled paper in order to land in the garbage can?”, etc. 

After some struggle, I asked Jeff if this assignment had to relate to our field and he said no. So I’ve decided to make it easier on myself and pick an idea I already came up with for the other subjects… let’s say math, my minor. My first math idea was percentages. I would bring different containers of different sizes to class and have the students calculate the percentage of the daily recommended value of calorie intake in each container. Perhaps even compare it to other drinks such juice, milk, water, sports drinks, and energy drinks. In assignment would involve tasks such as looking up what the daily recommended value of calorie intake is, multiplication, division, as well as obtaining the knowledge (and hopefully the consciousness of) what the students are putting into their body every time they drink a pop. As far as ingredients (especially diet pop and energy drinks), I’ll leave that up to the biology and chemistry teachers. 

5 comments:

  1. First of all let me say that I had a legitimate laugh out loud moment when I read the part about the physics of destroying the paper. That being said, I liked your math example as it was an outside the box way of looking at the article and one I would never have thought of myself. Furthermore, let me say that it's a fantastic idea for a lesson because it teaches the students math skills while at the same time educating them on the effects of soda. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea about using percentages Shaza. It might even be interesting to look at the sugar content in each of the respective beverages and calculate the percentage differences between various drinks. Another cool thing about this activity is that it gives you an opportunity to teach students about how to read nutrition labels! number literacy and meaning making! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, you are brilliant! I was wondering how I could further incorporate other drinks to show them that some are just as bad as pop. And I love the literacy in reading the label. I guess I took that for granted and thought they would know. And I know we're working on not assuming things, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

      Delete
  3. After extensive trial and error and rigorous data analysis I determined a 68 degree arch and 48% power are need to get the crumbled up paper into the basket.
    I liked your idea of percentages, this is yet another potential application that I had not thought about. Colleen's suggestion of nutrition labels is great and I think incorporating the two could be an effective way of getting students to understand percentages, totals, and volume. It is also great way to have students see the real life applications of math, something that is lost on far too many students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, I wish I had a physics activity for ya! I am sure you can find on on You Tube or an edu blog or twitter for physics and ask one of them!

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete